Full-Time • Bachelor's Degree Required
The associate editor is responsible for assisting the editor in production of Barrel Horse News editorial, which includes writing features and departments and proofing PDFs. The associate editor will also be responsible for helping maintain Barrel Horse News’ social media presence and updating the BarrelHorseNews.com website.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Research and write two to three articles each month as assigned by the editor that coincide with the editorial mission for the print publication. Responsible for multiple departments monthly, such as Arena Dirt, TOC, BRAUS and FRUP.
· Research and write two to three digital pieces each month as assigned by the editor that coincide with the editorial mission.
· Manage weekly social media posts as assigned.
· Assist in customer-service calls and correspondence, especially those regarding statistics.
· Assist in procuring photos for magazine features and event coverage.
· Travel to gather interviews and produce/photograph feature articles. Also travel to events as requested to provide print editorial, website and social media coverage as requested. Some weekend travel and extended hours may be necessary during trips.
· Assist in proofreading copy for content and accuracy.
· Assist editor with retrieving emailed corrections and giving to production.
· Check final corrections and sign off on PDFs.
· Stay updated on industry players and news, and report them to editor to help generate article ideas.
· Provide editor with general editorial support during production times; requires being in office during standard hours and working extended hours as necessary.
· BA or BS Degree with knowledge of AP and BHN style
· Strong technical- and feature-writing abilities
· Detail-oriented, organized, and self-disciplined. Diligent about meeting deadlines and working ahead.
· Strong background and working knowledge of the Western performance disciplines of the equine industry, specifically barrel racing.
· Must be able to adapt to rapidly changing environment and work in close cooperation with other employees and other departments
· Adept at using Microsoft Office, including Excel and Microsoft Word as well as Adobe Creative Suite
· Proficiency in WordPress, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and developing cross-channel content
· Digital photography skills and familiarity with Photoshop helpful
Barrel Horse News, the barrel racing industry’s leading publication, seeks a highly motivated associate editor. The right person is detail-oriented with strong technical and feature-writing abilities and has a strong working knowledge of the Western performance disciplines, specifically barrel racing.
For more information or to apply, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.