Chicago, IL • Full-Time • Bachelor's Degree Required
Representing more than 112,000 credentialed nutrition and dietetics practitioners, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. The Academy is committed to improving health and advancing the profession of dietetics through research, education and advocacy.
Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, the Director of Strategic Communications is responsible for developing and implementing the Academy’s communication strategy. This includes a broad range of communication activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and the nutrition and dietetics profession. The Director of Strategic Communications is responsible for the Academy’s varied and integrated communications products and services, including print, web and online communications; media and public relations. This individual supervises a core team of media relations and public relations professionals and manages the Academy’s network of volunteer media spokespeople to advance the organization's position with relevant stakeholders, as well as to drive broader profile for the organization.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
· Maintain current plans and lead the development of new communications strategies, plans and protocols to advance the Academy’s brand identity; enhance the profile and reputation of the nutrition and dietetics profession; and increase the visibility of Academy priorities across key stakeholder audiences.
· Provide leadership, expertise and reporting in all areas of communications (internal and external) for, and in collaboration with, leaders, management and all Academy units.
· Cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers, and the Academy’s Spokespeople.
· Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with the leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
· Oversee the development of team print and digital communications including the media guide, and electronic communications including collaborating on website content and new media; manage relationships with associated vendors.
· Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
· Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Academy priorities, special events and other projects.
· Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development.
· Develop communications products and services that facilitate member engagement, retention and recruitment.
· Introduce best practices and refine existing processes and procedures that expand the capacity of the Strategic Communications department to proactively meet the communications-related demands of Academy programs and initiatives.
· Maintain current and establish new measurement metrics and benchmarks for communications and external relations to improve visibility on progress and return of value to members.
· Assist in budget preparation; develop budget recommendations; review expenses against budget; control budget expenditures.