Kansas City, MO • Full-Time • Bachelor's Degree Required
Summary and Objective: As the Program Manager, you will exercise significant discretion and independent judgment providing management to program development, goals and outcomes, execution, and event-related operations with specialization in ongoing experiential learning programs.
• Design and manage agriculture and food experiential learning programs with strong project management practices, including staff coordination, engagement with students, volunteers, and industry professionals, and speaker coordination
• Develop collegiate and professional programs and related support content & materials to advance professional development and industry knowledge and exposure.
• Clearly articulate program needs and benefits to key stakeholders in written and verbal form
• Inform the development of website content and participant emails related to programs and services
• Support AFA participants and volunteers through coaching, mentoring and networking
• Assess and analyze program quality, satisfaction, and outcomes and implement improvements
• Maintain files, support documents, and records as required to support leader development programs
• Provide onsite support to specified AFA programs and related meetings
• Review program inquiries and direct responses
• Engage student leaders as necessary in programmatic planning and onsite support
• Develop and maintain a working knowledge of AFA programs
• Participate in other duties to support the management and general business operations of the organization as needed
• Commitment to the AFA’s mission
• Self-confidence, creativity, imagination and an entrepreneurial attitude toward program design
• Proactive attitude, drive, enthusiasm, and organizational and project management skills to carry out projects to conclusion
• Capability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
• Highly motivated and personal accountability
• Ability to work both with minimal supervision and as part of a team
• Strong work ethic and a self-starter
• Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions, detail oriented problem-solving
• Attention to detail with strong project management orientation
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or a combination of college-level coursework and training
• 2-5 years experience in formal or informal education program planning, learning assessment, operations, and/or in education training or equivalent experience
• Working knowledge of food and agriculture issues, careers and stakeholders
• Efficiency and experience in office programs such as word processing and data management programs, including spreadsheet reports and graphics
• Above average oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills, proof reading abilities and ability to communicate with external stakeholders
• Strong IT skills with interest and ability to work on a variety of programs and platforms
Preferred Education and Experience
• Graduate of agriculture degree program and/or experience in agriculture-related industry
• Experience working with and managing volunteers
• Understanding of youth and leader development programs
• Experience with design programs such as Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus
• Background or experience in the agriculture industry, educational assessment, youth programs and/or career development
• Understanding of nonprofit business desirable
This position has indirect supervision of administrative staff.
You will operate primarily in a professional office environment. If remote, you will work primarily from home office.
While performing the duties of this job, and subject to request for reasonable accommodations, you will be required to constantly operate a computer, and other office machinery as needed. You are expected to remain in a stationary position most of the day and to exchange information with internal and external constituents regularly. Occasionally, the employee may need to move or position equipment or supplies weighing up to 5 pounds.
Because travel is frequent and this role represents our organization at other conferences, ability to transport personal belongings and organizational promotional materials for travel, with reasonable accommodation, is necessary.
Position Type/Regular Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and regular hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This position will be expected to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel is expected to AFA events throughout the year and on weekends. Travel is estimated at 20% or less.
Apply by sending a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org